Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Etsy shopping find of the day. . .

I like a good scented candle as much as the next gal.

In fact, I feel like scent is very big for me. It's one of my love languages, if you will.

I am a bit of a hippy and so when it's some kind of commercial candle like Glade or one from the 99-cent store, I feel like I can smell the unnatural chemicals as much as I can whatever fragrance is intended to waft from the melted wax.

And there are dozens of candles on Etsy.com that have my number, sold in shops like Anthology Candles. All of the are made of soy, high-quality fragrance oils and essential oils. The description on the candles boasts the following "Our low-smoke, clean-burning wicks insure there's no black soot in the jar, which is reusable or recyclable.

Now thats music to my ears, but at $16 per 8-ounce candle, can they deliver the smell? If they can, they are frickin' geniuses, because the folks behind this shop have whipped up all that is nostalgic, beloved, mysterious and magic. These are not your grandmother's candles. . .

A while back, a friend of mine and I designed a perfume, based on the deliciously nostalgic midlewy scent of the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland. I believe we planned for it to be called "Dank."

Turns out, Anthology Candles has beat me to it, conjuring up the Happiest, if most expensive, Place on Earth with candles with scents such as. . .



Haunted Manor. They have such clever ad copy!: "Boasting the eerie fragrance of a long-abandoned ghost house full of musty carpets and dusty furnishings—complete with its own graveyard. Once you light our candle, you may never want to leave!"

To put you in mind of the Dole Pineapple Whip ice cream you can get out side of Disneyland's Enchanted Tiki Room, there's also a pineapple whip candle in a sunny island yellow.


There's also a "Soaring Over" candle redolent with the smell of the orange groves visited during one of the downward swoops made on Disney California Adventures aerial homage to the Golden State.

There's a candle that pretty much makes our "Dank" cologne obsolete, because while it's billed as "The Black Pearl," it very well could be billed as homage to the Pirates ride at D-land. It's scents are a heady brew of "ocean mist," salt water, and "Moldy and Mildewy Wood."



Theres a candle called Confectionary that is fashioned after the sweet scents of the Main Street Confectionary, which is said to be a mixture of fluffy cotton candy and chocolate fudge. That sounds so decadent. Positively bacchanalian, from an olfactory viewpoint.

And if your sweet-tooth is still in overdrive, you can light up a Churros candle.

I kind of want them all, and while that's pretty expensive, it makes good economic sense in a day and age where a one-day adult Disneyland ticket is a hundred bucks! And you get an ascending discount the more candles you buy.

Non-Disney offerings promise to be equally exhilarating: Rome Burning, Flower Garden Festival, Baker Street Flat (imbued with the scent of Sherlock Holmes' pipe, leather-bound books and "notes of earthy wood from his violin."

So I'm itching to invest in a few of these. When I do, I will follow back with a post declaring whether these candles are as awesome as they seems. I might have to wait till next payday, though, sniff, sniff.


No comments:

Post a Comment