Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Epigram of the Day: Dorothy Parker on the dangers of the martini

This one's by Dorothy Parker. I love her irreverence.


“I like to have a martini,
Two at the very most.
After three I'm under the table,
after four I'm under my host.” 



















Dorothy Parker was a woman ahead of her time. She was a pro-sex feminist and a writer who, through sheer intelligence and hard work, held her own in the male-dominated literary world of her day. 

If you like Dorothy Parker, I suggest that you watch Jennifer Jason Leigh's performance in "Dorothy Parker and the Vicious Circle." Her acting is wonderful.








If you want to read more of Dorothy's inspired quips, MentalFloss.com has gathered together "25 of Dorothy Parker's Best Quotes."

As an on-the-job writer, I often think of this gem she uttered on the process: "I hate writing. I love having written."

She's got my number, alright.

If she's got your number—if you'd give near anything to be a fly on the wall during those raucous, boozy Algonquin Round Table gatherings, you can join the Dorothy Parker Society. Membership is more impressive than having a MENSA card.



No comments:

Post a Comment