Saturday, May 27, 2017

Song of the Day: "Ouija Board" by Morrissey














<<last song
 >>next song

You know how some songs are just the perfect chasers for other songs. Of course, we all associate "We Will Rock You" by Queen with "We Are the Champions," because they were composed as companion pieces and are often played one after the other on the radio.

However, I just listened to one of my previous songs of the day, "I Wanna Be Adored" by the Stone Roses and something about the way the song ends absolutely begs it to be followed up by "Ouija Board" by Morrissey.

It's one of his earlier solo efforts, before he went a bit rockabilly. I had the single but left the vinyl orphaned to put the pic up on my Smiths- and Morrissey-plastered walls. To say I was a super-fan is an understatement, and to use the phrase "was a super-fan" is inaccurate, because while Morrissey and crew are less a part of my decorating scheme, they are no less a part of my heart.

And "Ouija Board," which I somehow simultaneously enjoyed and dismissed as a throwaway effort has only gained in my estimation over time.

It's song of the day on Battlestar Eclectica.

By the way, my google feed tells me people are outraged and angry at Morrissey about something he said about the Manchester terrorist attack.

Dude. He's not a politician. He's a humorist, a songwriter, a singer and, like all of us, flawed. The guy got your through your adolescence, sniping critics. Say thank you and if you hear him saying something off the cuff and emotional, put your fingers in your ears and say, "la la la." End of opine.

—Sarah Torribio


No comments:

Post a Comment