Friday, September 2, 2016

Bite-Sized Autobiography: Grandma at the Barn

























My beautiful maternal grandmother, Roberta "Bobby" McCarty. She was a wonderful person and passed on so many songs and rhymes to me.
"Gum-chewing girls and cud-chewing cows are alike in some ways and yet different somehow. Ah, yes, I see it all now. It's the intelligent look on the face of the cow."
I've taught the following nonsense rhyme to my son:
"One dark night when the sun was shining bright/Two dead boys set out to fight/Back-to-back they faced each other, drew their swords and shot one another/A deaf policeman heard the noise/And saved the lives of the two dead boys."
She had a very lilting, musical voice, loved telling stories and reporting on the doings of friends and family, was a voracious reader, including Dorothy Gilman's "Mrs. Polifax" mysteries, and was always talking about movies and things that "tickled" her.
My happiest times as a child were summers spent at the ranch she and my grandfather Clyde McCarty had in Redding, California.
Imagine being a suburban West Covina kid and suddenly hearing roosters crowing in the morning, feeding chickens and collecting eggs.  They also had a big red barn, which you reached via a path lined by an avenue of trees, and always had horses, sheep and pigs.
It was very much an idyllic experience for me.


—Sarah Torribio

No comments:

Post a Comment