Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Pass it on. . .

I know, it's been said so often that it's almost a cliche, but tradition is important to kids. Something that's done, just the way it has always been done,  adds stability in a shifting world.

I have recently taught a rhyme to my son, which my mom taught to me and her mom taught to her. It's a nonsense rhyme and part of a suite of many rhymes and songs our family passes on, and which help people bond at a family reunion or pass time in the car. Here goes:

One dark night when the sun was shining bright
Two dead boys set out to fight
Back-to-back they faced each other
Drew their swords and shot one another
A deaf policeman heard the noise
And saved the lives of the two dead boys. 


I'm not one of those bring it on capable moms. It's always amazing and overwhelming to me, all the things people have to do in a scarce amount of time, often with a scarce amount of money. Along with working my job, we've got to get me and both our children to doctor's appointments in the next week. I said I'd cover a story for the newspaper where I work on Friday and my mom is hosting a music party on Saturday and, in general, I think the weekend is already filling itself up with plans.

So how do you find room for tradition in the middle of all of this. Luckily, traditions can be easy--short and sweet, cheap or free.

So every couple of months, I quiz my son on the words to this rhyme.
Oh yeah, and then there's the puppet.

My  mom is a puppeteer, and I always have sworn I would never be one. I'm not embarrassed anymore by the fact that any of my friends who visit are likely to, at one point, meet one of the puppets, as fully animated by my mom. It's just not my bag.

But every once in a while, when my son Alex is having his bath, he will receive a visit from a little washcloth that I turn into "Ghosty." Ghosty is a baby talking ghost who's always asking Alex if he is scary yet. He says boo in a soft baby voice, etc. Alex sometimes advises him on how to be scarier. I know, I've just revealed myself to be a madwoman. But it's a tradition.

What are your little traditions that bring a smile each time they come around?

I've got a new one in the works. My mother-in-law always decorates every room in the house for Christmas, and she switches out her collection of children's books for all Christmas books. I think I'm gonna get a good collection of holiday books going, by scouring thrift stores and Friends of the Library sales, and keep them in a big basket near the tree.


photo courtesy of MomEndeavors.com


Yes, I do have it in me to do this whole parenting with meaning thing, one tradition at a time.

—Sarah Torribio

No comments:

Post a Comment