Saturday, August 23, 2014

Potato chips and K-pop hits

I have viewed Frito-lay's latest chip flavors, delicacies like "Cappuccino" and "Cheddar Bacon Mac & Cheese" as the coming of the apocalypse.

So I was delighted to find a meme expressing my dismay, and one starring the charming Jeff Goldblum to boot. But if you do a bit of sleuthing around, you find that the company and other snack manufacturers have been quite imaginative when it comes to crafting chip flavors they think will appeal of people of various nationalities and tastes.

We're talking "Magic Masala" chips sold in India and "Finger Licking' Fried Pork" sold in Korea. (South Korea, I'm pretty sure.)

You might want to check out a slideshow

And speaking of Korea, have you heard of K-pop? I know, it's a bit late to ask this question of anyone who is under 25, because the young people have been onto this remarkable craze for years.

For me, it took the emergence of Psy's ubiquitous Gagnam Style video to put the genre on my radar. They don't play this song as much as they used to, but I did nearly go into cardiac arrest after trying to horseback-dance at a recent wedding.

With my then 4-year-old son obsessed with the song, I began exploring YouTube to see if there are any other catchy songs hailing from Korea. That's when I came across a group of young ladies so bad-ass that they make The Rock look like The Pebble. They make Megadeth look like Winger. They make Slipknot look like the Aquabats. I'd better stop because my metaphors, which started out bad,  are getting worse. Suffice it to say that 2NE1's K-pop boast-fest will change your life. For the better, I hope.

If the above vid is a bit hard-edged for your taste and you want a K-pop chaser with more whimsy than bad-girl posturing, you may also welcome the stylings of Orange Caramel with the song "Lipstick," which is the first video I've seen that has managed to craft a plot around ping pong and unrequited love.

Potato chips and K-pop hits have something in common. You can't stop at just one!

--Sarah Torribio

No comments:

Post a Comment