Thursday, August 21, 2014

Song of the Day: "Genesis" by Grimes

This year, I made a conscious decision to acquaint myself with some new music. I had become stuck in a rut, which is not good considering that I'm working on a screenplay that's entirely about rock music.

I think another factor that spurred me to venture onto YouTube to see what was out there is that I turned 40 in July. There's a saying by Woody Allen, whose writing and movies I still admire despite recent allegations about his personal behavior. What can I say? I separate the artist from the act.
This doesn't mean that I'm eager to collect paintings by John Wayne Gacy or to obtain the folk rock album recorded by Charles Manson. But I admire "Rebel Without a Cause" and "On the Waterfront" despite the fact that director Elia Kazan reputedly sang like a canary during the McCarthy hearings. 


In "Annie Hall," Woody Allen's character Alvie Singer says the following to his girlfriend Annie, played by Diane Keaton:
“A relationship, I think, is like a shark, you know? It has to constantly move forward or it dies. And I think what we got on our hands is a dead shark.”

Later, Liz Phair, a remarkable singer and songwriter, penned a song on the subject, called, you guessed it, "Dead Shark." 

My point, and I generally have one, is that if you consider yourself a music lover but stop moving forward, then, when it comes to your status as a music aficionado, I think it kind of dies. You end up having a Dead Shark on Your Hands.

Anyhow, I have begun trolling the Internets for music I can love and I've found a few songs. One of my techniques is to go onto Pinterest, where I have a board called "All the Singles Ladies," devoted to songs I love. None of the videos I have posted are my intellectual property but each of them is among the musical properties of my heart. When I find a song I really like, say the haunting and atmospheric, "Three White Horses" by Andrew Bird, I then go down the rabbit hole, poring through the musically-themed boards of people who likewise like that song. Chances are, they have musical taste that is complementary to my own.

Anyhow, I think that is how I first encountered the song "Genesis" by Grimes. It is from the future. It is from outer space. It is gorgeous. It is strange. And the video is weirdly compelling. I hope you like it, too!


                                                                      >>next song







No comments:

Post a Comment