Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Website of the Day. . .

Oh baby, it's a wild web. There is so much out there.

I thought I would begin sharing the sites that I am a part of, because in a world of information overload, word-of-mouth, curation and recommendation is important.

I'm absolutely loving the music site LetsLoop.com, because it lets me aggregate the music I like and find new music, both via the site's suggestions and through the trending loops. The former might include a single song or be an entire playlist expressing the looper's preferred musical genre of mood of the moment.

Getting turned on to tunes is important, because I don't want to get stuck in that sense that nothing is as good as the music from my youth—although my new wave and alt-rock and grungy old favorites still hold up.

First of all, there's a lot of music from my youth and earlier I never listened to. For instance, I'm just now delving into The Strangler's catalogue as well as that of a group called Built to Spill.

This song is kind of an epic think piece that slows down time for the listener called "Randy Described Eternity."




There is also a lot of wonderful new music out there. Big discoveries for me last year were that I liked Foster the People very much, as well as some newer electronic music from the minds of people like Grimes.

If you didn't know, in the song "Genesis," Grimes' refrain is "I Am a Bag of Hearts." I like the fact that although she is from Canada, her music has no sense of place. It's as though it came from another planet.




The Portland band Pure Bathing culture is also doing it for me nowadays.




Listening to music is pretty much an everyday thing for me. I brings me happiness, solace, inspiration and makes me boogie.

My personal LetsLoop account is a work in progress, rather than a fully realized rabbit hole down which you can go. But it notes right near my profile photo that I am a fan of The Smiths, Weezer, Bob Marley, The Beach Boys and David Bowie. That's a pretty good start!

Want to join me on the site? Here we go loop de loop!

No comments:

Post a Comment