Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Song of the Day: "Pulling Mussels from a Shell" by Squeeze

<<last song    
  

                                                                                        
I  really kinda like this song: "Pulling Mussels From A Shell." Squeeze was ahead of its time. Except for (pardon my opinionated attitude) when it comes to the song "Tempted by the Fruit of Another." The aforementioned song is why I never thought to listen to much Squeeze until young adulthood. 
The same goes for Thin Lizzy. All I ever heard on the radio was "The Boys Are Back in Town," so I had no idea about the mix of Irish culture and mythology and of the lonesome cowboy ethos evoked by frontman Phil Lynott. 
He was mixed, bi-racial, half-white and half-black in a time and place where that was rare. (Ireland, 'mid '50s-'60s). If I'm not mistaken, he was raised by a single mother. That makes you feel apart, I think, or tends to. For a taste of that lovely melancholy, listen to Thin Lizzy's "Cowboy Song," ideally while sitting by a campfire. 
To hear Phil Lynott's reverential treatment of Irish heritage, try his "Whiskey in the Jar," which is awesome. Metallica did a pretty good cover of "Whiskey in the Jar," by the way. 
Phil Lynott died young from the effects of alcoholism, but his music is still there. You may ask, is this a music blog about Squeeze or Phil Lynott? To which I say, "Yes." 
I have a divergent mind, with my neurons arranged like a walking path. One thought, one song, one image leads to another. It's not the most efficient way of processing the world, but as they say, it's good enough for rock 'n roll.


No comments:

Post a Comment