Sunday, June 27, 2021

Sarah Torribio: A Brief History of Mine

 



Sarah Torribio is a writer with an educational and career background in journalism. Her writing has been published in the Reno Gazette Journal's Best Bets entertainment magazine, the Claremont Courier newspaper and Music Connection, among others. 

The Reno Gazette job was great because it allowed allowed her to interview many interesting people, a number of them famous (Mike Tyson is a name I drop), albeit over the phone. It's also let her speak to two musical heroes in particular, Parry Farrell of Jane's Addiction and Adam Ant of.  .Adam Ant. 

Along with being a fangirl, Ms. Torribio writes news and feature stories, screenplays, poems, epigrams and flash fiction. She also writes songs, plays guitar and bass and is an aspiring artist and designer. In other words, she's a creative type and a chaotic mess. She tries to keep things as grounded as possible for the sake of her family and her sanity.  

GETTING REAL

Okay, I'm going to drop this ruse. Sarah Torribio is me. I am writing about me. I lost a journalism job and started a blog. I lost another journalism job and rededicated myself to my blog. That blog is the one you are reading now, Battlestar Eclectica. I gave it that name because it sounds cool. 

The content of my longrunning blog is, as the name would indicate, eclectic, from words of wisdom to foolish frippery and from music gushing to random musing. I hope it will find its way someday and be good. I always think of the improvement over time in the animation and characterization of beloved characters like The Simpsons, The Peanuts, Mickey and the Disney gang and Bugs Bunny. 

Most recently I am a ghostwriter for StoryTerrace. I'm just wrapping up my first project for the company, an autobiography of fascinating 80-year-woman. I'm also sprinting towards finishing my second screenplay. 

But enough about me. What are you up to? 



Random facts: 

*I grew up in West Covina, California, attending attended Grovecenter Elementary School, Traweek Junior High and Covina High School. I graduated in 1992. 

*I'm a mum of two children, ages 12 and 7. I love the word mum but it sounds pretentious when I use it because I am not English. 

* My first independent record purchase was a 12" single of Madonna's "Holiday" at the Music Plus record store. 

* I have worn many journalistic hats. One of the most interesting was spending five years as an obituary writer. That'll give you some perspective, I can assure you. 

*In my aforementioned phone interview with Mike Tyson, he used this tradmark phrase at least 3 times. At one point, he said of his participation in Cartoon Network's "Mike Tyson Mysteries, "It's marvelous, I can assure you." 


No comments:

Post a Comment