Friday, March 25, 2016

I made this post about books for boys on Facebook. . ..

And I got so many good suggestions. 

Here's my post:



Alex, 7, and I are most of the way through Judy Blume's "Fudge" series and have embarked on The Great Brain series. I'm breaking it up with smaller storybooks to keep reading feeling light.
Anyhow, I think I'm going to break with tradition and read the Little House on the Prairie books with him. I don't know if any boys read those books or are read these books. Parents of boys, please advise.
I'll try to hold off from indulging myself too much with fare like "A Little Princess," although I can't make any promises. But what are some classic boy books? (And don't say Harry Potter, because we know well and good that girls are as likely to get an Owl-borne invitation to Hogwarts as boys.)
Also, I know, again, it's a touch early, but did anyone read the Hardy Boys series? Are they any good? It was all Nancy Drew for me, so I have not idea if the books are a rollicking ride or dull as toast.

And here are the thoughtful comments. I'm ready for a trip to the bookstore:

  • You are making great book choices. I read the little house series with my children and advocate the hardy boys. That's series is best for grades 4 and 5
  • Jameson really likes the "Magic Treehouse" books right now. Granted girls like those too, but I think they are much more interesting to boys. Madelyn loved the Wimpy kid diaries too, which just depends on their sense of humor rather than their sex. Those are fun, and lots of boys about this age I know like the "39 Clues" books.
  • The Hardy Boys and Chronicles of Narnia books can be read at this age, but I think kids a bit older would enjoy them more....4th grade +.
  • I agree with ye ole , Cronicicles of Narnia!!! The Lion,Witch, and the wardrobe. And Oh my gosh, check out.. Where the Red Fern Grows!!! Idk if the ending is too emotional for his age, your choice mama. I'm going to read it again soon.
  • How about the encyclopedia brown series and have you gone through all roald dahl's work yet?
  •  Fudge! What about goosebumps?
  • Wrinkle in Time series by Madeleine L'Engle. Roald Dahl's, I second. Perhaps The Hobbit if Alex likes fantasy. Have a look at the work of Shaun Tan and Andy Griffiths (both Australian kids authors). I know what you're asking for in terms of suggestions, but don't subscribe much to the idea of gendered literature.
  • Jacks absolutely loved Pippy Longstocking. After reading the books, he watched all the old episodes and movies. 
    Now we're in the middle of Percy Jackson and the Olympians book series.
  • Also try the How to Train Your Dragon books. I loaned the set to my nephew. I'll see if he's done with them.
  • Treasure Island, swiss family robinson, Tarzan, The jungle book, Peter pan!
  •  I read the little house on the prairie books to Dillon. He enjoyed them. Laura is a tomboy and there is a lot of description about how Pa built stuff. I love Laura Ingalls Wilder as an author so much. She has wonderful descriptions and writes very well. I am reading a biography of her right now that Holly recommended to me. I love reading stuff she recommends and then we talk about it. Holly is reading the Little House books right now. She even read Farmer Boy which is the only one I haven't read. I read the Shakespeare Stealer, Bud, not Buddy, The Tale of Despereaux and the Watson's go to Birmingham to Dillon to name a few that I remember off the top of my head. You can look to see if they are appropriate for Alex's age. Also, we read the first Harry Potter book to Dillon when he was about 8 years old when it first came out. He loved it and read the subsequent ones as they came out on his own. I know you said you didn't want to hear about Harry Potter but can't resist since I love those books so much too. Holes is another good book for boys and also girls. You probably should save A Little Princess for Savannah. Although it's a great story that I also love too. Perhaps Alex might like the Secret Garden better since there are boys in it too? Anyway, enjoy reading aloud to Alex and Savannah. I love it and still read aloud to Holly and she is 10 years old, I think I read aloud to Dillon even when he was 12! Holly has me reading Roald Dahl out loud to her right now. Those might also work for Alex.
  • I ♡ Farley Drexel hatcher!!! I went back and re-read the fudge series and the two added on books as well... wonderful.. Judy blume is my idol
  • My boys loved The Hardy Boys!
  •  How about Roald Dahl?





It was such a wonderful conversation on such a wonderful topic—books, and the intimate, magic and important act of reading with children or encouraging reading in kids. Ex libris forever!



No comments:

Post a Comment