Friday, March 25, 2016

Song of the Day: "Bastards of Young" by The Replacements

I have a song going through my head these past three days: "Bastards of Young" by the Replacements. It came out in 1985. I was 11 when it came out and somehow never really heard it. Even when they played oldies on the go-to station of my teen years, KROQ.

I was first introduced to the song via the 2009 movie "Adventureland."



Can I just tell you how great that movie is? Subtle. Wistful. Nostalgic. Funny. Cool.

The acting is very nuanced, especially the performances by Kristin Stewart and Jesse Eisenberg. I love the rawness of Jessie Eisenberg and the 4-star alarm, expression-wise, that is set off by any emotional moment. He has the opposite of a poker face.

And I think Kristen Stewart, who is so often accused of being cold and un-emotive and wooden—and, hence, a bad actress, is actually spectacular to watch. She constantly has micro-expressions flitting across her face that show what she is feeling.

So anyhow, watch Adventureland. You won't regret it.

And the film starts with the song "Bastards of Young" by The Replacements. And it's just so elegant and elegaic. Somehow almost painful to listen to at age 41--the whole fleeting-youth wistfulness. But it's really a great rock song.

 << previous song 
                                                                                  > > next song





No comments:

Post a Comment