Monday, December 23, 2019

Song of the Day: "Now or Never" by Saltwater Sun



<<last song
 
NEWER POST

I don't think I'm hip enough to compile a list of the best songs of 2019. I can, however, name a couple songs I encountered this year that, if they aren't new, are new to me.

I came across this 5-piece London-based band called Saltwater Sun, and they have several songs that are amazingly good. They stand out from the fray, and that's not easy. My favorite is "Now or Never," off the band's 2016 album of the same name. I love the quiet-loud dynamics, the lead singer's delivery—a childish and quiet quality that revs and soars into Siouxsie and the Banshees territory. By that, I mean vocalist Jen Stearnes shows she knows her way around a space, replacing the stale air with echoing and operatic disaffection.
The chorus shows how perfectly effective near-rhyme can be. Further, the song's a singalong angst-fest because the word choice is suiting to the subject matter and enjoyable to pronounce. The world choice is neither euphonio.us (pretty on purpose) or cacophonous (stridently clashing, like a clinical thrashing)
"Living your life like a go getter
Push me aside, oh when you go hell for leather
Leading the way, oh yeah, you trend setter
Push me aside, oh like it was now or never. . ."
Pair all that with taut drums and guitar riffs that go from darkwave swan song to honkey-tonk lament to moments of beauty transcending the whole damn mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment