Friday, September 5, 2014

Plush turtle costume provides refuge for troubled bulldog...

I recently came across this video about a dog with some issues. Lily is a rescue dog, literally, as she was found in a trashcan, along with her litter mates, at 4 weeks old. How anyone can view any living thing, let alone a baby living thing, as trash is beyond me. (Okay, sometimes my compassion doesn't extend to all living things. I've been known to turn the garden hose on ants that crawl up my legs when I am out gardening.)

The point is, between the abandonment, being the runt of the litter and having some medical issues, this bulldog has some serious anxiety and trust issues.

The truth is, I have dealt with some serious anxiety for all of my life, so I get it. In fact, I have considered at times appealing to a saint called "Our Lady of the Social Anxiety Disorder." Okay, so I made her up. But still, I think it's a fabulous idea. In fact, I even have come across a prayer candle that I think fits the bill.

For some reason, I picture her looking like a benevolent, loving and all-understanding Dolly Parton. I don't think I'm the only one who feels a spiritual connection with Dolly Parton, considering that the GreaserCreatures shop on Etsy sells a St. Dolly Parton prayer candle.

But back to the neurotic dog. As it turns out, when Lily puts on a plush turtle costume, she suddenly feels empowered. She snaps into an alter-ego who is happy, friendly, sociable and upbeat. As Lily's owner explains it, she always puts the turtle costume on Lily when she has to take her to the vet and when she does, "She walks in there like she owns the place."

I wonder if there is a magical outfit that could make me--or any human for that matter--instantly feel confident and ready to party.

Perhaps something along the lines of one of these numbers. . .

But I digress again. Back to the dog. Check out this adorable vid:

I love the pet psychic. She is, indeed, doing God's work. As as for Lily, forget the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. She is a true hero on a half-shell!

Here's to you, Lily.

--Sarah Torribio

No comments:

Post a Comment