Sunday, October 11, 2020

Song of the Day: "Omaha" by Counting Crows

 





So this happened a couple of months ago at a thrift store for $1. It’s 1993 all over again.

August and Everything After by Counting Crows remains a great album, with my favorite songs being “Omaha” and “Rain King.” The latter is song of the day on battlestar eclectica. It's earned that honor in part because of the strong imagery in the lyrics. I love the following gem: 

In the middle of the night there's an old man
threading his toes through a bucket of water.
Hey mister, if you want to walk on water
you're only going to walk all over me.

Also it hits that sweet spot we all love between country music and rock 'n roll. Think John Cougar Mellencamp's "Little Pink Houses."

I saw the band years ago at the Greek Theatre in LA with my sister Andrea. It actually rained that evening, which was exhilarating except for the woman in the row ahead of us who insisted on unfurling a large black umbrella and dancing side-to-side with it, thus obscuring our view.

You know who you are, lady. I forgive, but I don’t forget.


—Sarah Torribio



No comments:

Post a Comment