Wednesday, December 17, 2014

On a political high horse. . .or hobby horse. . .

Sometimes, I think so many of us are divided by partisanship.

We think we only respect Republicans or only trust liberals. I just don't like so much of the feeling of us and them. Ultimately, if aliens were to invade (not illegal, gallactic), we'd all band together to make it happen. Didn't you see Independence Day?

Please don't take this a shaming finger, because I only half-know what's right half the time. But I think we Americans are more diverse than we think. We don't have a hive mind. And while we effectively have a two-party government, we do not have a two party country. Not all liberal-minded people (I prefer that to liberals) are Democrats. I'm a member of the Green Party. Not all conservatives (let's change that to conservatively-minded people or, better yet, "thoughtfuls," are Republican. 

I have known many a libertarian and I have also known at least one person who has voted for both a Republican and a Democratic president. I won't try to make myself so hip as to call myself a "post-partisan," but I do feel weary of political conflict.

No comments:

Post a Comment