Sunday, January 19, 2020

Song of the Day: "Don't Go" by Moaning

                                                                                >>next song
                                                   
My song of the day is "Don't Go" by Moaning. I've decided rather than just finding a song here or there that I like by a band, something I often do while perusing the music recommending site letsloop, I'm going to go a bit deeper. No low-attention span hummingbird, I. 

I'm beginning with Moaning, an indie rock/post punk outfit that has a forthcoming album called Uneasy Laughter. They sound English, but are Los Angeles-based, I hear from the inter webs. They're signed to Sub Pop Records. 

They have a layered orchestral sound that will appeal to those with a penchant for dark wave, a la Joy Division/early New Order and The Cure. The guitars, though, occasionally rise above and beyond the quagmire of sadness to become a fuzzy rocket ship of energy. Smashing Pumpkins? Sonic Youth? I tend to get myself in trouble when I try to triangulate music. All I can say is Moaning has mood for days. 

—Sarah Torribio


No comments:

Post a Comment