Monday, March 15, 2021

Song of the Day: "Husavik (My Hometown") by Molly Sanden




I can't get the song that serves as the climax to the fine Netflix film "Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga" out of my head.
Rachel McAdams interprets the hell out of "Husavik (My Hometown)" by Molly Sanden, and Will Farrell chews the scenery even during his most subdued performance.
I keep listening to it and I keep singing it. The only thing is I'm at an impasse with the Icelandic parts. I'm gonna need to find a good immersive school, perhaps in Reykjavík.
While I'm at it, I'll also learn German to master the German versions of Nena's "99 Luftballoon" and Falco's "Der Kommissar."
PS-In another note I think the line, "Where the whales can live, 'cause they're gentle people in my hometown. . ." has nearly cleared me of my longstanding phobia of whales/whalesong.
PPS-Spoiler/cautionary note. When the final note hits, you might want to put down that fragile champagne flute.
PPSS-If this song doesn't win an Oscar for best song I'm gonna pull a Kanye and get up on stage saying, "Really? Really, y'all can't tell this is the best song ever?!"

--Sarah Torribio

No comments:

Post a Comment