Monday, October 12, 2020

Bite-Sized Autobiography: "I pledge allegiance. . ."

 







This pic I came across on social media just brought back a memory. It's a true story. When I was a kid, I was very scrupulous.
I didn't want to participate in any ceremony, whether patriotic or religious, if it was just a rote activity.
For example, I really got into watching Franko Zeferelli's mini-series, "Jesus of Nazareth," when it was screened every year near Easter. It reaffirmed my belief.
(I also looked forward each year to Family Film Festival screenings of "The Birds," "Pippi Longstocking," this sad anime version of "The Little Mermaid" and "The Incredible Mr. Limpett" with the irresistible Don Knotts.
Tom Hatten introduced the films on early afternoons Saturdays. Boy, he was a nice-looking guy and during the morning cartoon portion of his program, which was dominated by shows like "Popye."
He could make a cartoon out of any scribble or doodle a kid sent in. He'd select the doodle from a giant barrel and then transform it into some funny animal or outrageous-looking person.
Back to the scrupulosity.
I figured that if I was gonna say this secular prayer called "The Pledge of Allegiance" with my peers every day, then I could only do it if I meant it. I had to make myself feel really glad that "the flag was still there," otherwise, what was the point?
So when I was 8 or 9, I had a ritual that accompanied "The Pledge." Unbeknownst to anyone but me, I projected a moving mental panorama over the backdrop of our class flag. It was Revolutionary War in theme, and featured a procession led by a drummer boy and another kid with a fife followed by a parade of revolutionary soldiers on a horse.
It that strange?

—Sarah Torribio




No comments:

Post a Comment