Friday, June 12, 2020

Song of the Day: "Daydream Believer" by The Monkees

 

•OLDER POST
•NEWER POST
                                                                                 
The problems we have communicating on social media reflect the same problems we have speaking face-to-face. What are our conversations, arguments, small talk and patter like in person? 
How often are we on both the offense and the defense, snapping back at others' critiques or opinions without taking time to really hear them? 
How often do we craft our arguments, our retorts, our responses, quips and gags while the other person is speaking?
For me, it's all too often.
Speaking and listening respectfully and with full attention to someone who thinks differently takes practice. People are more likely to practice if others aren't so quick to dismiss an opinion and "cancel" the one who delivers it. 
I'm always looking at the proverbial "Man in the Mirror." (Actually, come to think of it "Man in the Mirror" is not a proverb but instead a song by Michael Jackson. I know because I had the 7" single) 
So I'll start with me. I'm going to be more open to the opinions of people who voted for "the other guy." I'll accept that you consider Def Leppard to be the best band of all time if you try to respect me after learning I prefer the Monkees to the Beatles.



*Incidentally, my song of the day is "Daydream Believer" by The Monkees



No comments:

Post a Comment