Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Song of the Day: "Teleport 2 Me" by Kid Cudi



                        
                                    
I remain ever a fangirl. When I like something, I like it. And I let myself get into it because enthusiasm is the opposite of apathy, ennui and depression. 
After shopping, I go to sleep in my new clothes clutching my new shoes (haha, elementary school reference). I like to smell my new school supplies. I reread books and mark them all up with notes and underlines.  I listen to songs on repeat. I figure if a song can stand 20 consecutive listenings, it can hold up. 
(I discovered this precept when I was in high school, perhaps a junior. I became temporarily besotted with The Fine Young Cannibals' "She Drives Me Crazy." I purchased the cassette single at Tower Records and hated the song within a few days.)

Other songs are my go-tos, literally the soundtrack to my life. The Police will never go amiss, nor Men At Work nor Alkaline Trio.

I'll sometimes go a few weeks thinking I'll never hear a song, new or old, that moves me. I also often go for the same amount of time thinking, "This is it. Stick a fork in me. I'm done. I can't write anymore." (Cue the world's smallest violin--it's the tidal fate of every creative and perhaps every craftsman.)

The two things, the ability to get into something—a cool song, a book that's a page-turner or anything else to enjoy, adore and enthuse—and the ability write seem for me to be connected. 

Lately, I've been listening to some music I missed in recent years while I was apparently living under a rock. (Actually, I do live amid and below the red rocks of southern Utah. It's kind of amazing.) 
Anyhow, I'm becoming a super-fan of Kid Cudi in my mid-40s. My song of the day, "Teleport 2 Me," was released in 2012. According to my go-to source, Wikipedia, Kid Cudi is prolific. He's a "rapper, singer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, record producer and actor." That's a lot of frickin' hyphenates! His listed genres are varied, including hip hop, neo-psychedelic, alt rock, alternative hip hop and trip hop. Considering I'm delving into music writing and I'm shit at categorizing by genres, this type of triangulation (pentangulation?) may be a helpful part of my education.  

I'm not gonna lie. Until a couple years ago I pronounced Kid Cudi's stage name "Kid Cutie." Also, even if I would likely pull a muscle, I want to be one of those people jumping up and down in the pit in the "Soundtrack to My Life" vid.
So here I go, inundating readers again with another song by this talented guy named Scott Mescudi. The good news is, with each consecutive listen I further suspect I will write again.

No comments:

Post a Comment