Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Song of the Day: "I Wish You Were Here" by Incubus


 <<last song




I heard this song on the radio last night as I took a long drive. I was reminded that I actually really like Incubus. The lyrics are better than you would expect from guys who were in their early 20s at the time:
"I dig my toes into the sand
The ocean looks like a thousand diamonds
Strewn across a blue blanket
I lean against the wind
Pretend that I am weightless
And in this moment I am happy, happy

I wish you were here"

I lay my head onto the sand
The sky resembles a back-lit canopy
With holes punched in it
I'm counting UFOs
I signal them with my lighter
And in this moment I am happy, happy . . ."

It's also got those wandering, melancholy minor-chord melodies (Tool/Deftones light?) partnered with that catchy record scratching, which was pretty fresh in 2001.
That's what I like about taking a long drive, or part of it. I flip through the radio and listen to all the new music's that been going on while I've been busy and old music I forgot about and yet somehow still know all the words to.

—Sarah Torribio

No comments:

Post a Comment