Sunday, December 15, 2019

Song of the Day: "555" by Jimmy Eat World





Oh, man, Jimmy Eat World is back with a great song. They've always been such an addictive band. Just think of singalong classics like "Sweetness," "The Middle" and "Drugs or Me," depending on your mood.

With this song I just stumbled across on YouTube, 555, "I feel like the band has evolved to reflect the increasingly epic nature of our decade's best music. There's a touch of Brandon Flowers' warmbling vulnerability to frontman Jim Adkins' delivery, and the soundscape has the icy electropop shimmer of The Naked and Famous.

Jimmy Eat World's punk roots are hiding in this song, and I hope they retain their ability to rock a good three-chorder, or is it a four-chorder? Keeping yourself open to new music is a full-time job. There's so much good music happening all the time. Just yesterday, I had a friend introduce me to the burgeoning Korean rap scene. Will it hook me, winning the coveted on-repeat spot afforded to songs I really dig?

—Sarah Torribio





No comments:

Post a Comment